President Trump had already chosen his replacement for Michael Flynn as National Security Advisor, but his pick reportedly declined the offer.
And CBS News independently confirmed the news:
CBS confirms that retired Vice Admiral Harward has turned down the President's offer to become the new Nat Sec Advisor via @MajorCBS
— Alan He (@alanhe) February 16, 2017
Earlier today at his major press conference, Trump talked up how he had found an “outstanding” person for the position.
UPDATE –– 7:52 pm ET: CNN is now reporting on the same on Harward turning down the offer, providing more detail on why he made the decision:
A friend of Harward’s said he was reluctant to take the job because the White House seems so chaotic. Harward called the offer a “s*** sandwich,” the friend said…
A senior Republican familiar with the process said “a question of clarity regarding the lines of authority” was central in Harward’s decision.
“I wouldn’t call it a disagreement as much as questions that could not be resolved to his comfort level,” the Republican said.